Road coditions - late winter?

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Post Reply
kpherzog
Jayhawker
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:14 am

Road coditions - late winter?

Post by kpherzog » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:21 pm

Trying to plan ahead for late winter.. can someone tell me what the usual conditions of these roads are in mid-March?
Saline Valley - North Pass
Saline Valley - South Pass
Hunter Mountain
Big Pine/Death Valley

Thanks . . Kurt

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident
Posts: 2300
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Road coditions - late winter?

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Read through these threads on the Saline Valley forum, they all go back several years with then current updates:

North Pass: http://forum.salinepreservation.org/pos ... ?&trail=45

South Pass: http://forum.salinepreservation.org/pos ... ?&trail=60

As for Hunter Mountain, I’d say you’d have a 35% chance passable vs. 65% chance impassable, 100% chance of mud and ice along the summit and in shady areas on the approach from the Saline Valley road.

Big Pine-Eureka Valley road: Be prepared for snow. The county plows the paved portion, but it is not a high priority road. The dirt portions will be at their worst as far as wash boarding, it isn’t usually until April that they start to grade the road.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:20 pm
Location: Perris

Re: Road coditions - late winter?

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 am

Just to add a bit of info about winter road conditions is a road like Hunter Mountain can mess you up on your gas distance. You can sometimes drive up Lippencott thinking your going to skip around problems with stuck vehicles in Grapevine or similar. Thing is if you can't get over Hunter for snow or ice you have have burned up fuel that might leave you in a jam. Those kind of options need to also be considered.

Post Reply