Backpacking Ideas

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Wayne
Jayhawker

Backpacking Ideas

Post by Wayne » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:41 pm

I rented a jeep and did Marble Canyon. I am looking at Bighorn Gorge next. Do people have some ideas of three day backpack trips that can be done without driving my car down rough roads? I am looking at some 4 wheel roads where I can park on a paved road. One of my ideas was Echo Canyon. Thanks

donutnational
Jayhawker

Re: Backpacking Ideas

Post by donutnational » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:59 am

I have backpacked into Bighorn Gorge from the bottom. While it was a memorable trip the 10 miles of valley bottom and alluvial fan on each end was too much for me. I try to go backpacking a few times a year and now that I don't have a nice 4x I have gone to areas near titus canyon (fall, redwall, palmer and other unnamed canyons near there). The distance to the canyon mouths is much more manageable either from the highway or from the titus canyon parking lot. Tucki mountain area is also nice for the same reason. If your willing to drive some graded dirt roads the choices increase greatly. The rangers do like to know if you are going to park overnight on the highway. Unless you are hoping to maybe catch a ride and increase your distance or have a specific destination in mind I see no reason to hike on a jeep road. Have fun and remember light beer weighs just as much as good beer.

Wayne
Jayhawker

Post by Wayne » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:36 am

I am now doing Indian Pass. How is water out there? Is it difficult finding the mouth of the Canyon? Thanks

donutnational
Jayhawker

Post by donutnational » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:41 pm

Not hard finding the mouth of the canyon and it looks like an actual trail much of the way. I've been twice but not in this century. Water was available but tasted bad, ymmv. Ask the rangers and bring water.

Wayne
Jayhawker

Post by Wayne » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:19 am

Thank you for your information. I have a reservoir with a hose and then I have learned it is better then to carry more water in several containers, so the weight is evenly distributed. It also is a good safety measure. If something happens to one container you still have water. The other thing I learned is to carry a lot of snacks that do not need water to eat. I loved Marble Canyon and I think this will be a great trip also. Thanks