Coming soon to Stovepipe Wells Village...cell service!

Death Valley related discussion
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:21 pm

So can anyone confirm if the SPW site is actually up and running? I saw that antenna there back in March yet had nothing, at least on my Tmobile phone (which does GSM so should roam, at least to get 911 service, I would think).

WyoCarbon
Jayhawker

Post by WyoCarbon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:19 am

ETAV8R, AT&T Postpaid has the best chance of getting signal in the park at this time. This is due to the fact that the Commnet sites are UMTS and CDMA, and the AT&T site is only UMTS. This leaves Verizon/Sprint customers only on the sites owned by Commnet.

Candace_66, I do not believe that Commnet roaming is included in a GoPhone Prepaid plan, but I am not sure, as I have a Postpaid phone myself. You're not mistaken; Analog service used to work MUCH better in the park, and almost every other rural area. We really lost when they decommissioned it. As far as contacting the park, I'm sure all the pressure people can provide by contacting them is a positive thing. It truly is a public safety issue, with no negative impact on the land.

MojaveGeek, I can confirm Stovepipe Wells is operational. The information about the site on my page, as well as the photo, were taken while I was there, and it worked great!

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:07 am

MojaveGeek,

I did a day trip from Vegas last day in September. At SPW full bars ATT, three in Mosaic Canyon up abut a half mile. Too hot to hike in the open mid day, 106 degrees. Strong signal all the way to FC.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:12 pm

Update from the past week or two:

Verizon text messaging worked for me up to Emigrant Campground, and calls and texts worked up all the way north to the Fall Canyon trailhead.

Texting and data worked around the Hall/Surprise divide at the top of Sourdough Canyon. Phone calls did not work there.

Calls worked around the high point on Big Pine Road just before you descend to Crankshaft Crossing.

Wifi worked pretty well in the Stovepipe Wells "business center". Slow but usable, instead of slow and unusable as previously.

Got some bars at Mahogany Flat and on Sentinel Peak, but texting did not work.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:38 pm

My provider is T-mobile. On the SPW, FC, and Beatty cells it shows as "comnet usa". This gave me roaming - voice and text OK, data very limited. My friend with AT&T (NOT prepaid!) just got his normal data plus voice/text, pretty good bandwidth (we often used his phone as a hotspot).

I also found the wifi at SPW significantly better, but they do play man-in-the-middle games with web proxy so often I could get places only by setting up my VPN back to my work.

bbb
Breyfogler

Post by bbb » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:41 pm

I had Verizon service (voice, text, some data) from the Cottonwoods whenever I had a line of sight to Stovepipe in December. I also had it from the valley floor a few miles north of the dunes. No luck with Sprint prepaid.

Aedwards27
Grubstaker

Post by Aedwards27 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:20 pm

I had 2-3 bars of 1x (enough to where I was able to make and receive calls/text messages) at Emigrant.

Oddly enough, I picked up 3g in Jayhwaker canyon. Maybe it was a reflection?

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:06 pm

bbb wrote: No luck with Sprint prepaid.
I have an AT&T GoPhone which is also a prepaid service. So I am also out of luck now in DV because I have no roaming, which I think is normal with prepaid phones.

However, when I still had my Tracfone 3G phone, I could make calls and do texts in the FC area. So I'm not sure why that sort of pay-as-you-go phone would work when apparently the FC cell isn't run by any of the major providers.