Jets at Star Wars canyon

Have an upcoming trip? Post about it here! A great place to meet people with the same interests
Bob from Boston
Jayhawker

Jets at Star Wars canyon

Post by Bob from Boston » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:23 am

Hello,

I'm planning my third motorcycle trip from Las Vegas to Death Valley. We may want to see the fighter jets at the Star Wars Canyon. We would be there on a Saturday in March or April. Would we have a good chance of seeing them on a Saturday? Is there a time of day for the best chance to see them?
Is there a better chance of seeing them during the Red Flag exercises?

also, if anyone would like to share the top 5 places to visit in Death Valley, I would appreciate it.

thank you

Bob from Boston

MidwestDesertRat
Jayhawker

Re: Jets at Star Wars canyon

Post by MidwestDesertRat » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi Bob. I dont know about the fighters in Star Wars Canyon. Is that the canyon at Father Crowley Overlook? I believe it is. There is another thread about the recent crash there that has more information.

Everyone is going to have a different top 5 places to visit there. I would say the "guidebook" answer would be: Golden Canyon / Zabriskie Point, Dante's View, Badwater Basin, Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes, and Mosaic Canyon. I love the slot canyons there, so mine are Fall, Mosaic, Titus, and Marble Canyons and Racetrack Playa.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:31 am

They have stopped all flights through that canyon (called Rainbow Canyon) after a crash there a few months ago killed a pilot and injured bystanders. It was a shortcut on a training loop that pilots fly to gather flight hours, called the JEDI transition (it crossed from section DE to IJ) so they so still fly north along Owens Valley and south through Panamint Valley, just less frequent and more often out of sight.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:41 am

Any sights you want to see in Death Valley depend entirely on your physical ability and desires and the vehicle you are driving. If you're on a motorcycle, then you probably don't want to do things with long gravel/sand roads. The stuff in the tourist core like Golden Canyon, Artist Palette, Badwater, Dante's View, and Mosaic Canyon would probably be best for your group. There is a ton of interesting stuff if you have a bike you want to take on longer gravel roads such as the Racetrack, but you really have to be prepared for anything out there. Most bikes I see out that way are Europeans on rally dirt bikes who clearly do that sort of stuff often. If you're just passing through for a day, definitely go up to Dante's View and down to Badwater, heading back north past Artist Palette and take a walk at Salt Creek or Golden Canyon.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Bob from Boston
Jayhawker

Post by Bob from Boston » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:50 am

Hi Gowler and DesertRat,

thanks for the info. Thats exatly what I needed.