Missing Mt. Whitney Hiker: Last Picture from Badwater

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
bbb
Breyfogler

Missing Mt. Whitney Hiker: Last Picture from Badwater

Post by bbb » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:44 pm

There's an overdue hiker who made his way through Death Valley to Mt. Whitney last week in case anyone has any information. It sounds like the hiker's family is coordinating with Inyo County and other area authorities:

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Re: Missing Mt. Whitney Hiker: Last Picture from Badwater

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:02 pm

Unfortunately, not a happy ending. :sad: His body was found yesterday, June 19th.

https://www.latimes.com/local/californi ... story.html

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:26 am

Yes, very sad. Hit me kind of hard for it being someone I didn't know. It's been a tough couple weeks in the Sierras. A friend of mine was good friends with this man:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/dave ... -obituary/

I just found this update a minute ago. This one hit me also, even though I knew he was probably dead.

Emotions are really strange things. Now I need to text my friend to make sure she is OK.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:06 pm

D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Given the location of the body, I'm guessing he was using the Mountaineers Route. I wonder if he had all the proper equipment to do that under the current conditions?! By any route, and under any conditions, that was a very ambitious plan.

Aedwards27
Grubstaker

Post by Aedwards27 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Really a terrible ending, I had been following this story since it broke.

Sadly, I think we're going to see situations such as this increasing, especially after reading this article. https://www.outsideonline.com/2330916/m ... -accidents

Personally, I have serious issues with mountaineering due to vertigo (exposure is something I cannot due), so I cannot imagine even attempting some of the peaks in the Sierras.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:55 pm

Aedwards27 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:14 pm
Really a terrible ending, I had been following this story since it broke.

Sadly, I think we're going to see situations such as this increasing, especially after reading this article. https://www.outsideonline.com/2330916/m ... -accidents

Personally, I have serious issues with mountaineering due to vertigo (exposure is something I cannot due), so I cannot imagine even attempting some of the peaks in the Sierras.
I think it will hit some sort of natural limitation not too much above what it is now. If deaths start becoming more frequent, restrictions will be tightened.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:06 pm

Candace_66 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:34 pm
Given the location of the body, I'm guessing he was using the Mountaineers Route. I wonder if he had all the proper equipment to do that under the current conditions?! By any route, and under any conditions, that was a very ambitious plan.
I suggested that and others countered that he may have become disoriented from the thin air and gone the wrong way. As I understand it, you need a different permit to use the Mountaineers Route. There was a death last year where the main gear was left at the main trail, so the conclusion in that case was he wasn't thinking clearly. Some of the pictures of where it happened I find terrifying. Definitely beyond my limits. I've done a lot of cross country in DVNP, but when it's Whitney, it will be via the main trail and after the snow melts. Here is the story from last year, which also has new comments from Dao's death: http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthread ... on_Whitney

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:52 pm

From what I read, it appears he crammed Whitney into his itinerary. The article mentioned he needed to be home and at work the following day; his plan was to summit, drive to Vegas then take a night flight home and go to work the following morning. Apparently he summited (eyewitnesses). My thought was he pushed himself too far and unfortunately paid dearly.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.