Beatty Pros and Cons

Share your interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to Death Valley
Desert Holly
Jayhawker

Beatty Pros and Cons

Post by Desert Holly » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:02 am

Hi,

I am new here, but a long time resident of Tecopa. I am one of those folks who is slow to catch up on the Internet!

We just took a three day trip up to Gold Point and looped back through Bishop. When we stopped in Beatty, we ate lunch at the Ensinada Grill and were impressed by the food and the nice people working there. We were a bit disturbed, however, by the actions of the police officers on the main street. One officer pulled over three people and was frantically searching two of the vehicles. One of the vehicles was a big SUV with a young couple and a dog. They just finished eating at the resturant and the officer was throwing all of their belongings on the ground. Camping gear and what not. He let them go so he obviously did not find anything. His attitude does not make us want to come back to Beatty and spend our money. Not sue what is up with the cops in Beatty, but this is no way to be friendly to the people you hope will spend their money there.

Dezdan

Post by Dezdan » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:37 pm

If you are a local, they will leave you alone. Besides, who needs tourist? :roll: What was the make/color of the vehicles being pulled over?

Desert Holly
Jayhawker

Post by Desert Holly » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:11 pm

Two SUV's and one red passenger car. The grey SUV looked like a ford explorer. Can't remember he make of the other two, but the other SUV was silver.

My husband is a retired police officer and he says tht these Beatty cops obviously are trying to getmore $$ to their department. Often small town cops try to get past basic civil rights in hopes of being off the beaten path.

Not being local to this town, our plans now are to avoid it. :cry:

netllama
Death Valley Resident

Post by netllama » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:19 pm

I've personally had bad experiences with the Beatty cops as well. The first time, they cited me for speeding coming down the hill from the west side of town (lovely speed trap where the speed limit gets sliced nearly in half going down a steep hill). The second time I got pulled over with a warning for driving too slowly (I was going around 20MPH in a 25). The cop claimed that I was inhibiting the flow of traffic.

It seems that the cops love to target tourists with random forms of entrapment, knowing full well that someone from out of town isn't going to return to fight it in court.

Desert Holly
Jayhawker

Post by Desert Holly » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:05 pm

netllama wrote: It seems that the cops love to target tourists with random forms of entrapment, knowing full well that someone from out of town isn't going to return to fight it in court.
Or return and spend their money in that economically depressed town! :???:

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:19 am

Ah, the Beatty speed trap! Well known - let's make it more well known here! You really want to hit the brakes when you see that 25 sign.

Now objecting to 20 in a 25? That sure sounds like harassmant to me! Well Beatty sure has gone downhill since the mine closed, I feel sorry for the residents. Tourism is their only real hope at the moment, unless Yucca Mountain suddenly got into gear again (unlikely). Last time I went through it looked like someone was trying to build a slightly upscale new motel. But on the main drag in Beatty? Got a lot going against it.

The people I know who stay in Beatty do it to save money. My first trip to DV, 18 years ago, I split the time between SPW and Beatty, because Beatty was so much cheaper, and I thought it might be a nice small town. Never spent another night in Beatty, I spend my time sleeping out or at SPW or PSR. The described behavior of the LEO's doesn't increase my chances of doing Beatty again (besides, I've grown up now and have more $$$, and it is well worth it to me to stay some place with nice scenery).
Last edited by MojaveGeek on Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveS

Re: Beatty Pros and Cons

Post by SteveS » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:30 am

Desert Holly wrote:Hi,

I am new here, but a long time resident of Tecopa.
Hi DH and welcome to the site, I look forward to your words from Tecopa. :cool:

In the interest of full discloser I’d like to add the following.

I’ve been thru Beatty an un-countable number of times dating back to at least 1980 (back when I started going thru Tecopa). I recall on a few times when I didn’t know the posted speed limit and was driving at the wrong speed, with the local police in position to observe me, and doing so. I would like to add, I was operating 100% within a safe and prudent speed. I’m 100% sure all locals know I’m not a local if they notice my vehicle, so I’m not blending in, and have the license plate to prove it. :lol: I have never had any contact with the authorities in Beatty, beyond the times I initiated it. On the occasions I’ve talked to offers working in public I have found them as helpful as all other public safety workers in the USA.

I hope this doesn’t JINX my future trips thru Beatty.

I have noticed lately that Beatty seem to be turning into a ‘one horse town’ and any and all growth is happening for the owner of that one horse. I can’t see any good for the over-all community coming from this, but I’d like to hear from any of the locals.

bishop13
Jayhawker

Post by bishop13 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:09 am

Geez, I'm glad I didn't go and stay at Beatty like I had planned a couple of weeks ago, especially since my vehicle isn't exactly inconspicuous :lol:

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:16 pm

I also know about the Beatty speed trap. In Beatty's defense, though, it's not the only town to have artificially low speed limits far from town - obviously designed to make those who have traveled for long time/distances over the broad expanses of the state and are hungry/tired/thirsty to speed up out of impatience and provide extortion money for local coffers. Goldfield and Tonopah comes to mind also, although I noticed on my last trip through Tonopah it has been shortened considerably.

The only time I got caught by Beatty's finest was in 1989, when I was showing my father in law the town after dark. I was living and working in Trona then. My father in law and I had spent the day in Death Valley and had also visited Rhyolite. We had dinner in Beatty at a nice BBQ joint they had back in those days, if I recall it was across the highway from where the Burro Inn is now. After dinner, we drove north of town, then turned around by the brothel with the airplane out front and was driving back down into town. I was driving my then brand new Ford Taurus.

I wasn't paying attention to my speed and was busy talking to my father in law when the red and blues came on. Pulled over the deputy asked for my license, registration and proof of insurance. I pulled out my drivers license and laid my wallet on my leg, and was reaching over to the glove box when he asked if that was a badge in my wallet. I was deputy fire chief of the borax plants in Trona at the time and I did have a nice badge that was inlaid into one side of my wallet and covered by a felt flap. The flap was down over the badge, but slightly askew and the deputy caught a slight glint of it in his flashlight beam.

He let me go with a warning out of professional courtesy. I was clocked at 57 in the 25.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

RL
Grubstaker

Post by RL » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:02 pm

Speed Traps. Tonopah definately. It goes from 70 to 45 to 35 to 25 and hangs there for a good while until through town. Both the NHP and the local sheriff work the main drag and pull over cars, PUs and semis at a steady clip. Good entertainment in a way.

The NHP also works the stretch between Millers Station and Coledale Junction hot and heavy. I Have yet to drive that stretch without seeing someone pulled over in a conference who felt that 70 was way too slow.

I personally have found great peace of mind by habitually obeying the speed limits. I'm too tired to be playing cat and mouse and always looking in the mirror and checking the bushes and draws for the enforcers. Going with the legal flow makes driving so much more enjoyable IMO. I used to try to maximize time/distance. Must be old! ;-)
Rats...Desert Rats...Rats

Desert Holly
Jayhawker

Post by Desert Holly » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:07 am

While the money may be tainted, the ethics of the police taking it is also criminal. There is no excuse for police corruption. Stay away from Beatty if you care about your constitutional rights!!!

Traffic stop in Beatty reveals $750,000 stash

By HENRY BREAN
REVIEW-JOURNAL
A traffic stop in the small town of Beatty netted a large amount of cash for the Nye County Sheriff's Office on Tuesday....www.lvrj.com/news/17255629.html

Tracker
Jayhawker

Post by Tracker » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:35 am

Desert Holly wrote:While the money may be tainted, the ethics of the police taking it is also criminal. There is no excuse for police corruption. Stay away from Beatty if you care about your constitutional rights!!!
If my small town became the route where the products or profits of the drug trade were being funneled I would demand the cops do their jobs. I'd be willing to bet there was a lot more to this story than you know of. There was probably a lot more to what you think you saw at the restaurant that day too. I think I'm going to write the Beatty PD a letter, commending them for a job well done.
:shock: I can't believe someone would stick up for dope dealers that get caught.

Desert Holly
Jayhawker

Post by Desert Holly » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:51 am

Read the story! I'm not sticking up for dope dealers, but do have a backround in law enforcement. They are keeping the money. If we erode our rights, how will we know which side of the law the cops are on? They are walking a thin line of ethics. Write your letter, but think before you write!

gedstrom
Grubstaker

Post by gedstrom » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:07 am

Desert Holly wrote:Read the story! I'm not sticking up for dope dealers, but do have a backround in law enforcement. They are keeping the money. If we erode our rights, how will we know which side of the law the cops are on? They are walking a thin line of ethics. Write your letter, but think before you write!
She said the money didn't belong to her, and she didn't know who's it was. So how were her rights being violated? The rightful owner is still free to make a claim for the money.

Tracker
Jayhawker

Post by Tracker » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:01 pm

The truth is, if all we know is that which is in a newspaper story we know very little if anything about what actually happened. I kind of have a hard time believing that you are knowledgeable about these subjects or you would know a bit more about asset forfeiture / evidence conversion procedures. A lot of factors come into play that will eventually determine who if anyone might get some of that money. Like the truth and full story behind newspapers articles, the details would bore most readers.
:idea: Write a story with more questions than answers - throw in some quotes from people that weren't qualified to speak - let the readers' imaginations fill in the blanks - and you have an interesting story for everyone.