Summer hiking in DV

Topics about survival techniques and situations
greatbasinguide
Grubstaker

hiking

Post by greatbasinguide » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:35 pm

There is truth to the saying, "only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun."

That saying came from the proclivity of the colonial masters to walk through the heat of the day... The locals tended to think the English crazy to be out in the noon day sun.

Good way to lose weight though...

In hot weather, I like to hike early, start walking before sun up... When it gets hot, hole up... take a siesta.. (siesta is a practical application for hot climates) in the evening as the temp drops walk some more.

Many a day I have snoozed and moved into shade as the sun changed position..

ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

Re: hiking

Post by ahamacav » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:11 pm

GBG wrote:There is truth ..."

... English crazy ... to lose weight... before sun up... some more... changed position..
Good idea. I do this when I want to be somewhere for sunrise or need to be there until after sunset. Night hiking on the desert floor is awesome.
Visit my web site, everyday, ... all day long - http://digital-desert.com/

Thom
Breyfogler

Post by Thom » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:24 pm

David_Bricker wrote: I know that working hard in the desert like that, it is hard to realize how much you are sweating, as the evaporation rate is so high.

David Bricker / SYR
Plus, you lose a tremendous amount of water through breathing. The low humidity just sucks the moisture out of your lungs.

dustyfart
Jayhawker

Caffeine, Alcohol and other diuretics

Post by dustyfart » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:10 pm

One of the big but little know drawbacks of hiking in the heat.
For myself, I try to stay away from caffeine drinks. My biggest problem is with coffee. No better way to deplete your bodies water supply and potassium. Tea is not a good substitute. Postum is an OK drink if you can stand it. If you are on doctor meds do a search to make sure they are not dieretic in nature.
I've taken many hikes in hot weather and have learned many hard lessons. Hiking in temps above 100 is a no can do for me. I can't carry enough water in shadeless areas. As the temps rise my distances decrease accordingly. My warning signs: Dry mouth, headache, bodyaches, cramps, no pee and no sweat. Solutions, take a break, rehydrate, find or make shade. Best advice to myself. Wait until the sun goes behind the mountains and then continue on.
Happy Trails thru Life,
dusty

johnc
Grubstaker

Re: Caffeine, Alcohol and other diuretics

Post by johnc » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:31 am

dustyfart wrote:For myself, I try to stay away from caffeine drinks....
dusty
I used to take along coffee and soda pop on desert camping trips. Then I did a simple and crude experiment: saved a soda pop bottle, and peed into it, and had lots left to keep peeing! More liquid leaving you than coming in is not a good thing.

Panamint Charlie
Death Valley Resident

Post by Panamint Charlie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:05 pm

Interesting topic you have here! Definitely makes a lot of sense, I think I'm in the right place. Anyway, great tips you have here, for I'm planning to take a hike. Thanks a lot. cool! Cool straw hats
Or are you just interested in trying to sneak in a spam link?

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Panamint Charlie wrote:
Or are you just interested in trying to sneak in a spam link?
New member, which is fine; finding a 2 1/2 year old thread, and a commercial link to boot. Hmmmmm, me thinks not! Anyway, I know where NOT to buy stuff from now.

David Bricker / SYR

Dezdan

Post by Dezdan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:43 pm

Got it, thanks guys!