Mayor endorses gin to fourth graders

Topics about survival techniques and situations
dave2
Grubstaker

Mayor endorses gin to fourth graders

Post by dave2 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:40 pm

Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman told a group of fourth graders on Monday that if he was marooned on a desert island the one thing he would want to have with him is a bottle of gin.

And when a student quizzed Goodman about his hobbies he replied that "drinking" was one of them.

Goodman was unapologetic for his comments that came during his visit to the elementary school in North Las Vegas.

"I'm the George Washington of mayors. I can't tell a lie. If they didn't want the answer the kid shouldn't have asked the question," Goodman said. "It's me, what can I do?"

Survival plan = A bottle of gin?:party:

plum
Breyfogler

The Mayor and the Bottle of Gin

Post by plum » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:39 pm

Golly!

Who elects these Guys?
Do they find them under a rock?
I ain't too smart but....GIN?

As of now, I quit voting!

Plum

bucyouup68
Breyfogler

Post by bucyouup68 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:32 pm

I would say Whiskey, But I'm no Mayor :D

dave2
Grubstaker

Post by dave2 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:52 pm

He is the Mayor of Las Vegas, Nevada. People who just moved there from California elected him. He received 85.72% of the vote in the 2003 primary, running against 5 other candidates. There is no record of opposition during the general election. FWIW, Las Vegas is in Clark County, the only "blue" county in Nevada during the last election.

I'm with Oscar on this though. If people have a problem with an answer, they shouldn't ask questions. Rushing to be offended by what people say is a sad reality. It takes thick skin to live in Vegas.

Beware of the thought police too. We have clearly lost our freedom of speech, next will be our freedom of thought. Somebody has even found reason to think my "signature" will cause roads to be closed by enviros. Oh well.

crazybill
Jayhawker

The New Racism

Post by crazybill » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:24 am

People who just moved there from California

Robin
Grubstaker

Post by Robin » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:19 am

On the other hand, think how refreshing to have a politician who tells the truth...

badtux
Breyfogler

Post by badtux » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:21 am

dave2 wrote:He is the Mayor of Las Vegas, Nevada. People who just moved there from California elected him.
Err, not only California folk. From what I understand, he's mobbed up big time. A lot of the old timers in Las Vegas voted for him too (you know the ones, got names that end in vowels?). Don't doubt that a few graveyards voted for him either, after all, why should being dead take away their voting rights? (heh! Sorry, just channelling Mayor Daley of Chicago there).

But I agree, it's refreshing to find an honest politician, even though he's only honest part of the time -- he told the NFL commissioner, "There's no organized crime in Las Vegas. None. And I know it. Because I used to represent them." Hmm, yeah right, pull the other one, eh?

W6DWI
Jayhawker

Post by W6DWI » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:44 pm

It ranks low when it comes to survival,
but if all hope was lost, ok.

Wishkey would be in the spirit of the west.

But, for islands I'd go with Rum. :drunkchug:

Robin

skyhook
Jayhawker

Post by skyhook » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:11 am

Speaking as a Brit, I think we should should expect our politicians to do their job...and only their job.

The last people we should expect to show us leadership on moral questions are politicians!

Can we really expect them to do this? :cool:

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:33 am

DELETED

ChinaLakeKid
Grubstaker

Post by ChinaLakeKid » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:02 pm

No wonder he is a Vegas alchoholic...
Well, I'd say it's a stretch to infer that because a guy enjoys a gin and tonic every now and then to because he does so he must be "alcoholic". Heck - I enjoy a drink every now and then too, but that doesn't make me an alcoholic. I find it somewhat distressing that there are people out there that do. They must have been choirboys who never crossed over the line. The only thing that disturbs me a little about Mayor Goodman's comments is my belief that political figures should be responsible in their comments in public forums, and that perhaps this wasn't quite the appropriate response to give to a bunch of 4th graders. It denotes lack of thought on his part about where he was when he made that comment.

Rockslide
Grubstaker
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe

Post by Rockslide » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:46 pm

I'm inclined to agree with CLK...the mayor should not have been endorsing, or appearing to endorse drinking gin to fourth graders. He should have been endorsing BEER, which is far less potent. If he were in front of 7th through 10th graders, then it would have been Ok to endorse beer and wine, but nothing stronger. Only if speaking to upper classmen in high school would it be appropriate to endorse drinking gin. Buy that time most of them will have moved through the beer stage, the wine stage, and the strong liquor stage, and either gone on to powerful drugs or decided to cool it and chase girls instead of getting plastered / stoned every weekend. At least that's the way it was when I was in highschool, eons ago.
"Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end."