dsefcik
Jayhawker

Post by dsefcik » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:12 pm

Dezdan wrote:
MUDCRZR wrote:Check out this kid's rattlesnake bite pictures:

http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/

Very graphic!
:shock: :shock:
I am having a hard time with believing this, it looks more like the pictures in my sons EMT training books...I double you :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

--

DRIFTWOOD CHARLEY
Jayhawker

Rattlesnake Bite - worse than I thought they could be

Post by DRIFTWOOD CHARLEY » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:53 pm

Great post for all of us to read.
Lots of facts have been brought out.
I was bitten when I was about 9 years old in the calf of the leg by a Sidewinder, and since learned a lot.
Only about 35% of Rattle snake bites induce enough venom to cause alarm to the medically trained. All bites can be infectious. Snakes treat us like range cattle or mustangs. We are too big to eat, they just want us to get away. That doesn't mean you won't die of fright. I don't want it to happen again. Mine injected but not severe. I was sick for days, the swelling split the skin where I was cut and allowed to bleed away. Dad put the tourniquet between the bite and the ankle to save the foot and toes, TIGHT. A belt was wrapped around my thigh and when they cut me he loosened the belt and two men squeezed the thigh and pushed down towards the bite. NEVER PUT YOUR MOUTH TO A SNAKEBITE AND SUCK THE VENOM OUT. The bed in that little Cardinal 16 foot trailer looked like the set of a slasher movie. I bled a lot. This was about 1962 in a remote area in the Arizona desert. Dad was a field Geologist and no hospital trip could be made in any reasonable time.
MOJAVE GREEN'S. They are aggressive. Not as big as most but yes there are two types. If you get bitten by one kill it and take the WHOLE snake with the victim. Head and all. In some cases an anti venom can only be made from a type II, as it could be unique to that snake. They ARE the most deadly snakes in north America. Yes they are green, a pale shade but they are defiantly green.
DON'T COUNT ON A HIBERNATION CYCLE. Snakes hibernate but depending on the breed, climate, food availability, and location, they can stay out into December or later. We tend to pursue our hobbie in the cooler months. BEWARE! I live near Hodge Ca. close to the old Wild Wash Ghost Town site. We just killed a 3 foot Green Thanksgiving weekend.
A LITTLE FOOTNOTE: All snakes diet on High Proteins. Rats, Mice, Etc. and when cooked properly they are very delicious. No they don't taste like chicken, more like Lobster.
Prayers go out to the kid. I had just a taste of what he's going through.

bbb
Breyfogler

Re: Rattlesnake Bite - worse than I thought they could be

Post by bbb » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:47 am

DRIFTWOOD CHARLEY wrote:DON'T COUNT ON A HIBERNATION CYCLE. Snakes hibernate but depending on the breed, climate, food availability, and location, they can stay out into December or later. We tend to pursue our hobbie in the cooler months.
So true. I ran into this guy last March in the Maze area of Canyonlands, Utah.

teddyruxton
Jayhawker

Post by teddyruxton » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:35 pm

It looks as if it's been quite some time since this site was visited. So, why not! I personally know two snake bite victims. One was on the job when it happened to him. He was a truck driver, and his bite put him on a desk job for about 3 months before he recovered enough to go back to driving. Victim number two, was (is) a dumb -a. He was trying to impress his girlfriend and in a drunken state, took her with him to feed a friends illegally kept western diamond backs. He opened their cage and took a bite from each of them before he could get away. Both bites were to his right hand. After many surgeries, he ended up with a useless thumb , index finger, and no muscle left in his fore arm. Last I heard, he was still a dumb - A. Now, I gotta tell on myself. A couple of years ago, while volunteering in Death Valley, I suddenly walked up on a rattler laying under a bush. The instant I saw him, I did EXACTLY what you are told not to do, and that is to stay still. I am partially handicapped in one leg and haven't been able to run or jump for many years --- but somehow I was suddenly a good 10 feet away from that snake! I never heard him buzz, but when I turned around, he was gathering himself back up and heading for a hole. Incidentally, I don't think they taste like chicken or lobster. I think they taste like rattler!! :cool: