desperate cooling trick

Topics about survival techniques and situations
johnc
Grubstaker

desperate cooling trick

Post by johnc » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:40 pm

The Discovery channel had a program about desert survival and the expert demonstrating how to stay alive did something I never thought of. He urinated on his head gear! It was a scarf/turban he made from cutting up his tee shirt. Stinky, he opined, but it did keep his noggin cool.

deathvalleydan
Grubstaker

Post by deathvalleydan » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:52 am

You can also drink urine as a last ditch attempt at saving yourself from dehydration, but one hopes to never need to use such desperate measures.
Real freedom lies in wilderness, not civilization.
-Lindberg

Education is key to preservation. Knowledge is power.

Kelly
Grubstaker

Post by Kelly » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:20 pm

I rarely need to urinate when I am very thirsty not sure if that would work if you are already dehydrated?
Kelly

Scott
Death Valley Resident

Post by Scott » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:38 pm

If I'm desperate enough to pee on my headgear, I'm desperate enough to drink my urine.

As for urine volume and dehydration, in the early stages of dehydration Kelly is right, the body will even re-absorb water from the bladder. But in extreme dehydration, you'll eventually need to pee, as the body will produce urine in a last-ditch effort to excrete salt.

If you have to do it, and you have some sort of container to pee in, let it sit for as long as you can before drinking - a lot of the solids and some of the salt will settle to the bottom and you can skim off the better stuff from the top.

Yuck.

ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

Re: desperate cooling trick

Post by ahamacav » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:00 pm

johnc wrote:The Discovery channel had a program about desert survival and the expert demonstrating how to stay alive did something I never thought of. He urinated on his head gear! It was a scarf/turban he made from cutting up his tee shirt. Stinky, he opined, but it did keep his noggin cool.
Feasible, but I find the following reassuring;
Inyo Independent, February 9, 1906

Thomas McCauley has just returned from a trip to the Keane Wonder and Furnace Creek sections, says the Rhyolite Herald, and in speaking of the trip he says: "I was more agreeably surprised at what I have seen than what I have heard about Death Valley. I cannot see any excuse for any person being short of water or getting lost. There are wells and springs all over, and signs at every crossing and turn of the roads.
BTW, slightly off topic- Here's a little quote/rhyme that may help to keep the public 'facilities,' clean and fresh!

"A man who doesn't lift the seat,
hasn't learned to uri-neat"
-Politeness Man
Visit my web site, everyday, ... all day long - http://digital-desert.com/

Thom
Breyfogler

Post by Thom » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 am

When I did some work at 29 Palms, we were required to attend a short seminar. The evaporative cooling effect on urine on cools was mentioned as well as a number of other survival techniques. Such as not eating and keep drinking when are thristy, rather than hard-core rationing. They claimed you could survive in the Barstow area desert for 3 days w/o water IF you could find shade and be 3 feet off the ground