sequoia groves

Discussion about places West of the Rockies
shane
Breyfogler

sequoia groves

Post by shane » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:12 pm

4 years ago i made a goal of hiking through all 67 sequoia groves. i've been to 16 so far and am heading out next week with the goal of hiking to 4 more, maybe 5 if i have time. its a fun diversion while the desert is too hot to visit.

anyone visited any of the more remote groves that require cross country hiking?

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:13 pm

I'd like to go to more of the Desert Fan Palm oases in the southern desert. I think this is a neat goal.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:20 pm

Both are pretty cool groves!

I was recently at the Nelder Grove (sequoia) near Oakhurst CA and even though there are not many trees, they are amazing.

shane
Breyfogler

Post by shane » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:29 pm

i have not made it to Nelder grove yet, but planning to visit McKinley grove for a few days in Sep, and might be able to get to Nelder for a day. Seems like an obscure place for someone from the east coast to visit, curious what brought you there?
Spent last week in Sequoia NP hiking around Mineral King and Jennie Lakes mostly but we were still able to visit 5 groves. Very depressing to see the state the forests are in right now.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:09 pm

Yes, the forests are in really bad shape, between bark beetle and drought, much much die back, though seems that only a few species are particularly hard hit.

Why was I at Nelder? Well I like to go to obscure places :) Actually I was out in CA with my son. We spent a week with a friend who lives right at the edge of the Ventana Wilderness. Timed that well as the wilderness is burning now (the Sorbranes Fire) and my friend's house may not survive. Then we went to Yosemite, first spending a few days out of Oakhurst where another friend has a cabin, then over to base out of June Lake to spend time on the east edge of the Sierra (this was excellent, especially Mt. Dana).

My son had never seen a sequoia and I thought I should fix that! Mariposa Grove is great but is closed for rehab and I discovered Nelder on the net. It was a very hot day there so we went after dinner, about a 15 minute drive from my friend's house. No one else was there at all, which was nice, and a good contrast to what we would find the next day hiking around Glacier Point in Yosemite!

My son was quite taken by the sequoias so it was a good thing to go see them!