Critters along the way...

Discussion about places West of the Rockies
RL
Grubstaker

Critters along the way...

Post by RL » Mon May 12, 2008 9:50 pm

Last year I had a chance to take a close-up of a Badger digging like mad on the burm of the road. Didn't though.Still thinking about that missed shot.

Below are two "critters" photographed along the roadway from Tonopah, NV to Bishop, CA on 5/11/2008.

American Pronghorn Antelope Buck

Wild Horses

Post some critters :idea:
Rats...Desert Rats...Rats

ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

Post by ahamacav » Sun May 18, 2008 5:36 pm

very nice. Going to St George next week. Might come back that way. Hope I see some.
Visit my web site, everyday, ... all day long - http://digital-desert.com/

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker » Sun May 18, 2008 10:09 pm

We had a coyote begging for food on the way to Scotty's Castle. 2 hours later, he was on the Ubehebe Crater rd. Walks right down the middle of the road, makes you stop, then comes to each the driver's and passenger's windoes, looking for a handout.

David Bricker / SYR

ahamacav
Death Valley Resident

Post by ahamacav » Mon May 19, 2008 12:02 am

David_Bricker wrote:We had a coyote begging for food on the way to Scotty's Castle. 2 hours later, he was on the Ubehebe Crater rd. Walks right down the middle of the road, makes you stop, then comes to each the driver's and passenger's windoes, looking for a handout.

David Bricker / SYR
That's cool for up close pictures- sort of.

There was one out at Joshua Tree NP that would limp, then beg for food and walk off. My wife used to think I was a real prick for getting aggressive with them and scaring them away from the road and my sandwich. I don't eat thier rats, they can stay away from my bologna.

My grand-daughter thought I was being cruel too, for chasing one away from a campground once. A year later we were out on the dunes near sp wells at sunrise and she saw one catch a rat. She was very excited, but managed to get one halfway decent shot.

A few months later my wife and I were having breakfast maybe twenty yards from a pool at an oasis, sort of off to the side, when we watched a couple of coyotes scheme on a few resident ducks. They missed. The point I made to both the little woman and the grand-daughter was that neither of these occasions would have been there for us to experience if they hadn't been sufficiently hungry.

I had heard that the coyote at JTNP was eventually hit by a car.
Visit my web site, everyday, ... all day long - http://digital-desert.com/

David_Bricker
PSR Fire Marshall

Post by David_Bricker » Mon May 19, 2008 9:07 am

I thought the same thing re: cool - sort of. We didn't feed it. I'm sure if my wife had been along, she would have wanted to.

I certainly hope it doesn't get hit by some yahoo barrelling down the roads at high speeds. I was also surprised by the territory it covered - about 5 miles in the course of two hours. Yes, I know that isn't even a trot, but still surprised me. Perhaps the coyote is also cruising looking for a natural meal at the same time.

David Bricker / SYR

Tracker
Jayhawker

Post by Tracker » Tue May 20, 2008 8:21 am

:soap:
I won't say how I really feel about people who feed wildlife - the root of the problem runs too deep to change many people's minds. But every now and then we get to see why feeding only hurts the critter being fed. Whether it's a bobcat at FC or something like below- nothing good can come from feeding wildlife. Bravo to those like ahamacav who can do the right thing.