Saline Valley area canyon hike recommendations

Discuss 4x4'ing, Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Vick
Jayhawker

Saline Valley area canyon hike recommendations

Post by Vick » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:05 pm

I'm going to be in Saline Valley in December. We've been a number of times but always just relaxed at the hot springs or dunes... I was curious if anyone had any information on any of the canyons around the springs/off the road to N pass that might be nice to explore.

Thanks

kayaker77
Jayhawker

Re: Saline Valley area canyon hike recommendations

Post by kayaker77 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:20 pm

Not sure if this is too far south for what you're interested in, but I spent a little time in Quail Canyon a couple years ago in the spring. It's just south of Grapevine Canyon. There was a little water flowing in a stream bed not far from Grapevine, and there was also water coming out of a rock there, it was pretty cool. Getting there, though, I had to walk through a lot of underbrush and dead leaves, etc., and I had tons of ticks on my pants. So something to beware of. It was also hard to get to the water coming out of the rock, as there were lots of small trees and my backpack almost got stuck in between some of them. Have a wonderful time, though, and take lots of pictures!

kayaker77
Jayhawker

Post by kayaker77 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 am

Oh also, you may want to check with a ranger on water sources. One ranger told me not to drink the water out there, due to past mining activities possibly contaminating it and also possible pot farms in remote areas near springs. Hopefully it's okay, though.

slash2
Jayhawker

Post by slash2 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:06 pm

Beverage Canyon is fun. Drive up to the old cabin site (4wd) and hike up the canyon from there. There are several rock falls that you can scramble up, probably with flowing water in December. The 3rd or 4th, I don't remember which, had an old fixed rope that I wasn't going to trust so I didn't go further. A little internet searching should give you all the info you need.

/2