People watching while Geo-watching

Discuss and share your favorite photos, techniques, cameras, or anything else related to photography
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

People watching while Geo-watching

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:58 pm

Another reason I love DVNP is observing visitor behavior and reactions to the spectacular panoramas, park ranger programs, fuel prices, wildlife, heat, and the night sky. I try to capture some of these moments as photographs and videos.

Here's one of a man who was soaking up the light show from Zabriskie Point at sunset with his huge binoculars. He panned all around until it grew too dark. He must have a photographic memory because he took no images. Sometimes it's better to just set the damn camera down and enjoy the ambiance simply for what it is. But not now because otherwise, I would not be sharing this one. :cool:

Life begins in Death Valley

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: People watching while Geo-watching

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:41 pm

Yes I understand the point you allude to. Due to force of a near lifelong ingrained habit, I’ve viewed my world through the viewfinder, then later the low res LCD display of early digital cameras, and whatever acronym smart phone displays are now these days, flitting around from place to place in my haste to capture the most scenes in as many locations as possible. If I forget my camera or try to go cold turkey, it is akin to withdrawal from addiction.

So now I keep my cell phone handy next to me, sit in one spot and soak up the ambiance while taking occasional snaps. And doing my darndest to slow down while keeping my eyes open to my next great photo.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:58 pm

D.A. Wright wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:41 pm
If I forget my camera or try to go cold turkey, it is akin to withdrawal from addiction.
I appreciate you sharing your personal experience to which I can relate.

Two factors help mitigate that "addiction" you mention.

1. Not seeking to be a professional photographer totally takes away any pressure to produce quality images for payment. No shooting situation/location is "life or death" - (One could say it's life or "death" considering the name of the national park we're referring to.) All of my content is open source, not copyrighted and free to duplicate. I have no illusion or desire of ever making a dime off of my YouTube channel.

2. Awareness that there are numerous super talented photographers out there capturing the same or at least similar images and posting them online keeps me both awestruck and humble.

At the end of a day in Death Valley, I find it immensely exciting and rewarding to review the days capture and see if any images are worth looking at. That is if I'm not too exhausted:exclamation:
Life begins in Death Valley

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:20 pm

I figure my zIllions of photos will be fun to look at later, when I'm a (really) old lady. I can flick through them and remember the good ol' days when I was wandering far and wide. :bounce:

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:05 pm

I have no desire to shoot professionally. I tried that road once. I quickly learned that wasn’t for me, as the techicalities drained the fun out of taking photos. The composition is what pleases me. And, as Candace mentioned, is all the photos to look at later. I’ve got tens of thousands of my images on a large capacity external hard drive, from my Kodachrome years to today. It just that when I see a beautiful scene, my compulsion is to capture it photographically. And if I don’t have a camera or cell phone handy, I get the shakes ...
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.