Saratoga spring, fall canyon, and sidewinder canyon 2/28-3/2

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
DavidW
Jayhawker

Saratoga spring, fall canyon, and sidewinder canyon 2/28-3/2

Post by DavidW » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:55 pm

So Thursday morning Feb 28 we left Orange County and headed up to Saratoga Spring to start our Death Valley trip. Got to the Spring and hiked to Saratoga mine. It was a nice hike, and we saw the remnants of the mine and the old structures. Didn't have much time, or we would have liked to check out the other 2 mines that were relatively close.
Friday morning was breakfast in Beatty at Mel's diner, which did not disappoint. From there, it was off to the trailhead at Fall Canyon. It was about 7-8 miles round-trip to the base of the dry falls and back. It was a really nice hike that wasn't too strenuous. At the base of the dry waterfall, there was this lizard that could care less that we were there, and wouldn't move for anything haha. He/she definitely didn't have a shortage of food!
On Saturday we headed to Sidewinder Canyon. This was the only hike that I had done before out of the three. We had a new guy that we thought would love the first major side canyon, so off we went. We explored a few of the smaller side canyons, then into the "boulder entrance" of the first major one. We squeezed through, went through the dark part, and climbed up a few dry waterfalls to where it opens up a little again. We made our way up until it got too crumbly and hard to hike/climb up.
The weather was warm and sunny Thursday and Friday, then Saturday morning it was raining in Beatty, but by the time we got to sidewinder, it was partly cloudy skies. Can't wait til we go back in November!