Grubstaker

6.4 earthquake in Ridgecrest

Post by Aedwards27 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:27 am

All of you guys in the area okay?

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Re: 6.4 earthquake in Ridgecrest

Post by blackturtle.us » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:48 pm

It was the longest earthquake I've ever experiences and I've lived in southern CA for over fifty years. It just kept going and going! And then there were lots of aftershocks. Some were pretty intense. Power is out in Trona and not expected to come back on until tomorrow sometime... hopefully. All stores in Ridgecrest are closed. I was hoping to pick up a generator, but no such luck. Several neighbors had water pipes bust. There was also road damage between Trona and Ridgecrest. Tons of news crews in Ridgecrest right now and lots of emergency vehicles from out of the area sent to help out. BTW, I'm at McDonald's for wifi as that's my only internet option at this time!

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:24 pm

The video of the burning home at https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/earth ... e-updates/ is across the street from my old house when I lived in Ridgecrest. My home was on the north side of California at Holly Canyon; the burning home is on the south side of California and Sunland, facing Sunland. Whenever the person pans to the right and acrss the street, you can see the cinderblock pillars in the front fencing of my old place.

Jason Corona, owner of Casa Corona, and also made a video shown on the page, was but a boy when his parents opened the place - first in the then new Stater Brothers shopping center, then at the old Golden Corral, now the old Texas Cattle Company. My wife and I were friends of the Corona’s.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:41 pm

I was sitting on top of Cucamonga Peak in the San Gabriel mountains, and felt this! :shock:

Any word about the chemical plants out near Trona?

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:26 pm

I doubt it seriously affected the plants, but likely things were shut down. During the years I worked at Trona (1987-2004), there were several moderate quakes without any major issues. The power is out, so the two large power plants at Argus curtailed putting power in the SCE grid. The major crack in the highway is CA178 between Ridgecrest and Trona. It also broke the water main to Trona, so that will effect the plant as well. Won’t effect water in the tanks, but will likely cut back to conserve water.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Candace_66 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:41 pm
I was sitting on top of Cucamonga Peak in the San Gabriel mountains, and felt this! :shock:
Please describe in more detail what the quake felt like, how long it lasted and what was going through your mind.

I grew up nearly on top of the San Andreas Fault and felt a few quakes rumble through but this sound more intense than anything I experienced.
Life begins in Death Valley

Wingman
Jayhawker

Post by Wingman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:51 pm

Anybody in Death Valley for the quake? One news report said the epicenter was "on the border of Death Valley National Park". Sounds like the big damage is in the Trona and Rdgecrest area, though, so that epicenter seems suspect...

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Post by blackturtle.us » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:32 pm

Wingman wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:51 pm
Anybody in Death Valley for the quake? One news report said the epicenter was "on the border of Death Valley National Park". Sounds like the big damage is in the Trona and Rdgecrest area, though, so that epicenter seems suspect...
The epicenter was between Trona and Ridgecrest just north of the place where the road was torn apart. They had that road patched up quickly though. I didn't hear anything about the plants although immediately following the quake they put up a lot of steam and some smoke.

Grzldvt
Breyfogler

Post by Grzldvt » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:12 pm

Saw the earth shifted and the news reported a 12" crack was created on 178 outside of Trona. But actual footage shows more like 4-5". I was in Orange County and we had a rolling type of experience but was pretty mild. I have been is some pretty nasty quakes and knew instantly we were experiencing one. Just as I was about to get up and take action it ended.
However the LA news truly tried to sensationalize it was as if LA was in very serious trouble. It was pathetic as the rolling was so mild many people in LA had no idea it happened. Yet they were reporting they were looking for injuries and major damage/fires. Geez, simply stupid reporting

bluegreen kayak
Jayhawker

Post by bluegreen kayak » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:39 am

Last year I talked my son in Ridgecrest into keeping large bottles of water in his freezer, so I could use them when I camp in Death Valley. One of my arguments was that if he ever had a power outage, he could use the frozen water to save his refrigerated food. Yesterday he texted me "Thank you."

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:42 am

This "moderate" line comes pretty close to Panamint City:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... tions=true

I wonder if the smelter stack was affected.