Where's the border?

Death Valley related discussion
Morrie
Grubstaker

Where's the border?

Post by Morrie » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:04 pm

There's a dirt road from Gold Point in Nevada that goes down Oriental Wash, enters Death Valley, and heads toward Little Sand Spring where it hits the Big Pine/Death Valley Road. I don't know if this dirt road has a name. What's curious is that the sign for the state line on that road is in a different place from the sign for the park boundary. It's like there's a non-man's land of about 40' between the park and the state line. Is that really true, or is one of the signs in the wrong place?

In this photo the orange post in the back is the state line, and the brown post in front says "park boundary". The photographer is in California and that's the Slate Ridge in back. Where's is this person?

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:28 pm

The state line and the park boundary, as per my understanding, are one and the same in that particular section.

On the road east from Crankshaft Crossing, there is a larger, modern sign indicating that one is entering DVNP.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Morrie
Grubstaker

Post by Morrie » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:15 pm

D.A. Wright wrote: On the road east from Crankshaft Crossing, there is a larger, modern sign indicating that one is entering DVNP.
Do you recall whether there is also a state line boundary marker at exactly that same point?

I could understand if a sign that said "Death Valley" was slightly off from, or inside, the actual park boundary, but the DVNP post in my picture is a park boundary marker, so one would expect it to be right on the line. Here's what it looks like.

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:40 pm

This is an example of ,Close Enough For Government Work.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:33 pm

Morrie wrote: Do you recall whether there is also a state line boundary marker at exactly that same point?
It's been about seven years since I've passed that point, but over the decades I've gone that way many times. I think I recall a benchmark and possibly paddle marker indicating the state line. And Esmeralda County, NV annually grades that road on the Nevada side and after they grade the road it's very clear that they stop right at the DVNP sign.
Last edited by D.A. Wright on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Pezdragon
Jayhawker

Post by Pezdragon » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:26 pm

I was curious about that myself when I camped in that area just inside the Nevada border. I just chocked it up to the way of things in the 'out there'

TonyG
Jayhawker

Post by TonyG » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:17 am

Just another DMZ! ;-)

Dezdan

Post by Dezdan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:55 pm

The park boundary doesn't follow the state boundary exactly along most of NV. It shoots in and out by a small margin - OR maybe the park boundary is straight and the state line moves back and forth. Anyway, grey is NPS, orange is BLM, margin of error is +/- a tad, but you can see that the park boundary at that point is in NV:

TonyG
Jayhawker

Post by TonyG » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Or maybe the draftsman had a Monday shaking-hand problem? :lol: