Saline snowed in?

Death Valley related discussion
gene
Jayhawker

Saline snowed in?

Post by gene » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:21 pm

In the last 20 years that I have been going to Saline, only once, about 4 years ago was Saline snowed in to the point that there was no going in or out for a few weeks. We are a few full size truck with 4x4 and chains and we are interested in going in the South Pass this Thursday coming out Sunday. Any advice? Anyone come out today? I know Lippincott is probably fine but we were hoping to avoid the long drive.

Gene

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:44 pm

Got a little snow today here at Big Pine. At Westgard Pass I encountered a foot of snow on the summit. Snow likely a similar depth at the turnoff to North Pass into Saline. Still snowing as I write. Supposed to snow/rain through Saturday.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

DesertMouse
Jayhawker

Yes! There is snow in Saline Valley!

Post by DesertMouse » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:03 pm

My friend Elizabeth just called me a while ago from Lower Warm Springs and she said there was 6 inches of snow!! She is the "stand-in" camp host while Lee is away until Thursday. She said it looks like it's going to snow some more too! I wish I was there with her, she said it's so beautiful!!!

gene
Jayhawker

Is that 6 inches on Saline floor?

Post by gene » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:39 pm

Was Elizabeth talking about 6 inches at higher elevation or on the ground at the springs?

DesertMouse
Jayhawker

Snow in Saline

Post by DesertMouse » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:09 am

Elizabeth said 6 inches on the ground. (That was Tuesday, but as of last night, she said it had all melted.) I haven't heard about the passes, as she said that no one new has come into Lower Warm Springs in the past couple of days...

alwaysgoneaway
Jayhawker

Post by alwaysgoneaway » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:30 pm

Gene,
I am sure you have probably gone on your Happy New Year Way but if you have not, the south pass was barely doable from the Valley side out BEFORE yesterdays storm. We came out the afternoon of the 30th and there had been just a few who had made it out either The 29th, Wednesday or Thursday. The story is that a guy in a 4X truck who was the first to attempt the pass on Wednesday spent the night out there or at least a good portionof it awatiing a tow ($1300) as he either had too long a vehicle to make one of the hairpins, or misjudged where the road was in the fresh powder. The other group of large 4 x trucks, two tundras, a long wheel based Dodge and a small toy 4x were rejected as a group but were able to get out with chains on all fours Thursday. There were about six or seven of us which followed them a hour or so later and we were able to get out with two Westfalias 2 wheel drive w/ chains and a number of four wheel drives w/o chins but only because the earlier vehicles had both broke up the ice and created a hard pack to drive up on top of :evil: . A lot of people were going up Lippencott if they had the 4 x. There were also a number of vehicles like eight at least that we never saw once over the top.
It was a treat to be in the saline for the rains and snow on the valley floor
H.N.Y
Dennis

Pugsly
Grubstaker

Post by Pugsly » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:29 pm

Wow, we left on the 25th via the North Pass. Sounds like we missed all the fun! :D

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:31 pm

Yesterday afternoon, I took a quick run over to Eureka Valley from my home, beautiful afternoon photography after the storm parted. Big Pine to Death Valley road not signed as closed. Unplowed but no problem with 4x4 (as long as your undercarraige isn't dragging through).

Saline north road had about 14" of snow. Old tracks, nearly filled in were on the road.

Got down to Eureka, took some photos, then turned back for home. It was after sundown. Just started up the grade when a heavily modified late model, double cab Chevrolet 3/4 ton, 4x4 flagged me down. A man, about 35-ish, alone, asked where the Saline turnoff was. I asked him to follow me.

At the turnoff, I walked back to warn him of what he was facing. His third time to Saline, first time driving it. I asked if he had chains, he didn't. 36" mudder tires. Said he hasn't yet had a chance to have chains custom made.

Said he knew owner of cabins at Willow Creek, was going to stay there a few days. Wanted to get to Saline also to ring in the New Year.

Watched him plow in, slither around, then dissappear over the hill.

Chevy driver driving in.

Photo I took an hour before.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Pugsly
Grubstaker

Post by Pugsly » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:54 pm

Nice photos of the snow. Reminds me of how we tried to fight it in over North Pass one President's day a few years ago. Ended up going all the way around and in through Lippincott finally.

Johnnie_Fiasco
Jayhawker

Post by Johnnie_Fiasco » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:12 pm

Awesome pics!!! David -- do you have any more to share? :o

Birdman
Jayhawker

snow

Post by Birdman » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:55 pm

More pictures, David.
Birdman

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:17 pm

Along the Big Pine-Death Valley road, about three quarters of a mile west of the road to Saline Valley.

At the Saline Valley road.

Eureka Valley.

My buddy Graham photographing the valley. Photo taken at the point where you first glimpse the sand dunes upon exiting the mouth of Loretto Canyon (a bit less than a mile from the end of the pavement). You can see some bits of snow in front of him. Solid snow cover a few yards away on a shady slope just off the right side.
D.A. Wright

calepo
Death Valley Resident

Post by calepo » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:34 am

AWESOME pictures, David. Thanks! :-D
"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~ Ansel Adams

gene
Jayhawker

Dennis, that was us!

Post by gene » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:21 am

Hey Dennis "alwaysgoneaway". That was us, the fiddlers , that you stopped to hear us play! I remember the desciption of your rigs. We ended up going in for a few days and then did Goler and Geologists cabin. Great trip!

Gene
Arctic, Sahara, Baja, Indian Country and Death Valley......the few best places on Earth.

johnc
Grubstaker

saline south pass on sunday

Post by johnc » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:23 am

I managed to get into saline via steel pass. Should have left that way too. South pass is still a mess. Chains needed for the snow and ice. It is all old snow, but blowing like desert sand, with white out conditions. Hunter Mtn Road turnoff was unrecognizeable. Lots of getting stuck, lots of help from the impromptu caravan that formed. The trip started at 6:30 a.m., and we made the highway around 2:30 p.m.