Grubstaker

Re: A jet crashes in the DV area, several onlookers injured

Post by JesPortland » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:58 pm

Thank you for this information!

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

My visit to crash site Sunday morning 9-1-2019

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:49 pm

I drove from Lone Pine via Darwin and east on Highway 190 early morning Sunday over Labor Day weekend and stopped to pay respects to the Navy pilot who lost his life in the July 31, 2019 crash. I was the only one at the location for nearly fifteen minutes.

I hope to not have failed to represent my sad sentiments and my personal experience with this one minute video. The assumptions made about his flight path are mine alone and may contain errors.

I lost my favorite uncle to his single-engine plane crash in the Utah desert several decades ago.

Life begins in Death Valley

kwalsh
Jayhawker

Post by kwalsh » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:24 pm

FWIW when I was eating at PSR last week I overheard some of the staff talking about the crash and saying that at this point aircraft are still not flying down Rainbow Canyon. They are taking a different route these days but it wasn't clear to me if that was just doing the larger loop that goes through South Pass or if they still do the shorter loop along 190 and just come down a different canyon away from public view. PSR also said they've lost business as there aren't anymore plane watchers staying there since there aren't any planes to watch. I also happened to drive by Father Crowley Point three times over three days are there were no plane watchers to be seen so I'm guessing what I heard at PSR is accurate at least for the moment.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:21 pm

kwalsh wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:24 pm
FWIW when I was eating at PSR last week I overheard some of the staff talking about the crash and saying that at this point aircraft are still not flying down Rainbow Canyon.
Thanks for the update. I have mixed feelings about the jets zooming down Rainbow Canyon. They're exciting to watch and hear but then again the silence is golden.
Life begins in Death Valley

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:47 pm

I drove past Father Crowley viewpoint a few days ago. And noticed the dirt road out to the end ("Padre Point") is closed off, with signs indicating this was done by order of the Superintendent.

I'm not sure how long that closure will last. A quick check of the Park website didn't turn up any details about the closure.

Older Fossil
Grubstaker

Post by Older Fossil » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:30 pm

We spent a few days at PSR earlier this week. We stopped at Father Crowley Point and noticed the "No Admittance" side blocking the road to the lookout area east of the parking lot. Talking to staff at PSR, they indicated that the crash site is still under active investigation. They mentioned that they have heard that the CHP and NPS rangers have been told that if they find people in the closed area to detain them and call the military, who would come to take them in for questioning. Definitely no jets anywhere near Rainbow Canyon while we we in the area.
Art Berggreen
Living and traveling full-time in a 39 ft. diesel pusher.
http://arts-work.blogspot.com